Even after the successful release of Android Nougat, Samsung has been continuously rolling out the Lollipop and Marshmallow updates to its remaining mid and high-end devices. Galaxy J5 SM-J500M is one of those devices that has been recently received the Marshmallow OTA update.
Samsung Galaxy J5 was launched in the mid of 2015 running Android 5.0.1 Lollipop out of the box but it didn’t get any official update since then. For those who own this phone and have got bored of getting minor updates from the Samsung, it’s time to cheer up as you can now update Galaxy J5 SM-J500M to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware manually. Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is the major and last update the Galaxy J5 will be getting.
After updating Marshmallow on Galaxy J5 SM-J500M to the new firmware, you’ll be able to experience all the exclusive features that were first introduced in Android Marshmallow. Change in the user interface would be the very first thing you would notice after updating your phone with faster performance and enhanced security features. New improved changes in app drawer is also prominent like quick scrolling and search features to find and launch apps more rapidly. Now, you can use Home button of your Galaxy J5 to launch the Google Now on Tap by simple pressing and holding it.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow also brings more powerful features like power management feature that take care of your battery performance using new Doze and App Standby features that automatically kill battery draining background services and network connection when they are on idle state. Besides. Marshmallow gives you more control on your device by allowing you to manage app permissions for 3rd party apps.
The firmwares listed below are only for Galaxy J5 SM-J500M. Please, make all preparations according to the instructions described below, follow the tutorial carefully, feel free to ask any question to clear up any confusion. Follow this guide at your own responsibility.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy J5 SM-J500M
- Model: SM-J500M
- OS Ver: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- PDA: J500MUBU1BPH2
- Phone: J500MZTA1BPH1
- CSC: more than one. The CSC is mentioned in the firmware names.
- Release Date: September 07, 2016
Firmware Download Links
Trinidad and Tobago
Dominican Republic (Orange)
This list will be populated with more firmwares and mirros as soon as they are available.
- Download the appropriate firmware for your device and unzip it to get the original file with .tar.md5e extension.
- Download and unzip Odin3 v3.10.7 on your Windows PC storage. Mac users can download the Java version of Odin.
- Download and Install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC. You can skip this if it’s already installed on your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on Galaxy J5 SM-J500M.
- Go to Settings >> Developer options >> Enable USB Debugging
- Take a complete backup of your device data including installed apps data as a precaution because if you encounter boot loop or any other issues, you might need to perform a hard reset after updating a new firmware.
- Make sure your Galaxy J5 is fully charged or at least have 80% battery charge on it.
Update Galaxy J5 SM-J500M to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
1. Download and extract the Odin.zip file, browse Odin folder and launch Odin as an administrator.
2. Boot your Galaxy J5 into Download mode:
- Turn off the power and then press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power keys altogether for few seconds.
- Keep pressing the keys until you see a warning screen with yellow exclamation mark.
- Release the keys and then press the Volume Up key to get into the Download Mode.
3. Use the stock USB cable to connect device to PC. Once PC detected your phone, Odin will indicate you with the “Added!!” message in the log box and the ID:COM port will also turn blue.
4. Click AP button in Odin, navigate and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
5. Click the Start button to start the process of firmware installation and wait until the firmware is being flashed.
6. You will get a PASS! indication on Odin, which indicates successful installation.
7. Your device will reboot automatically.
Do not forget to share your feedback with us via comments. Thanks!
Note: The first boot after installation of a new firmware always takes more time. So, be patient and wait for at least 15 minutes. The phone will boot up normally and you will be able to explore the newly installed Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Galaxy J5 SM-J500M.
If the device won’t boot normally even after 15 minutes, then follow the detailed reset instructions described in the tutorial given below.
Comment section below is for your valuable queries. Don’t forget to share your experience with us. Like and share us on social platforms.