Yesterday we published the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500M and today in this step-by-step guide we will show you how to update Galaxy J5 SM-J500H to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. As you already know that Samsung Galaxy J5 was released a year ago in June 2015 and it was originally came with Android 5.0.1 Lollipop out of the box but it didn’t get any official update since then. Well, here is a good news for all those who own Galaxy J5 SM-J500H, Samsung has been rolling out the Lollipop and Marshmallow updates to a range of its mid and high-end devices. Galaxy J5 SM-J500H has also been receiving the latest, and probably its last major, OS upgrade.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA update for the Galaxy J5 SM-J500H has already rolled out by Samsung in some countries like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Russia, Germany, Iraq, etc. But don’t worry, even if your country/region name is not listed, you can update Galaxy J5 SM-J500H to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow without waiting for the OTA to hit your device by simply installing the Marshmallow firmware manually using Odin.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is one of the major and last update that came with new features, improvements, and tweaks to the user interface. Besides, it also boost the device performance and enhances security. Plus, it includes new efficient power management that extend battery life using Doze and App Standby features that automatically kills idle background services and network connection. Moreover, Marshmallow give its users more rights to manage 3rd-party app permissions.
The firmwares mentioned below are only for the Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500H. Follow all the steps carefully and do not skip any step, make all preparations according to the defined procedures, feel free to clear your doubts if you have any. Follow the instructions of this guide on your own responsibility.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy J5 SM-J500H
- Model: Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500H
- OS: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- PDA: J500HXXU1BPG8
- Phone: J500HOXE1BPG8
- CSC: more than one. The CSC is mentioned in the firmware names.
- Release Date: August 27, 2016
Note: All the firmware links mentioned below are unbranded ones. You can easily install it on any Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500H that is not SIM-locked regardless of country/region. Long story short, if you are from UK or the India, you can download and install any firmware from below. All firmwares are in English language.
Marshmallow Firmware Download Links
More updates will be added to the list as soon as they are available.
- Download and unzip the firmware zip file using any zip tool to get the firmware files with .tar.md5 extension.
- Download and unzip Odin 3.10.7 on your PC.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC. You can skip this if drivers are already installed on your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy J5 SM-J500H:
- Open Settings >> Developers options >> Enable USB Debugging
- Take a complete backup of your device data for the safe side.
- Make sure you phone is fully charged or at least up to 70%.
Steps to Update Galaxy J5 SM-J500H to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
1. Download and extract the Odin.zip file to PC storage. Open Odin folder and launch Odin 3.10.7.exe as an admin.
2. Boot your Galaxy J5 into the Download mode:
- Power off the device and then press and hold these keys for few seconds:
- Volume Down + Home + Power
- Keep the buttons pressed until a warning message screen will appear.
- Release the keys and press the Volume Up key to get into the Download Mode.
3. Use the original stock USB cable that came with your device to connect your Galaxy J5 to PC. Once your device is detected by Odin, it will indicate “Added!” in log box and ID:COM port will turn blue.
4. Click AP button on Odin, navigate and select firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
5. Click the Start button on Odin to start the process on firmware installation and wait until the process is finished.
6. Once the installation completed, Odin will indicate the PASS! confirmation message.
7. Finally your Galaxy J5 SM-J500H will reboot automatically.
If you have any past experience of firmware flashing then you must know that the first boot after the installation always tales longer than usual so be patient. When your device boots up, you will be able to explore the latest features of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on your Galaxy J5 SM-J500H.
If your Galaxy J5 doesn’t boot up normally even after 15 minutes, follow the instructions in the tutorial given below to fix the issue by performing factory data reset.
Comment section below is for your valuable queries. Please share your experience with us. Like and share us on social platforms.