As we all know that the locked devices specially the carrier locked devices are very tough to unlock and so many carriers locked devices still waiting for the bootloader unlock method. Verizon Galaxy Note 4 is one of such carrier devices in which the bootloader was not unlockable. But here is a good news for the Verizon Galaxy Note 4 users, the tested and working method to unlock bootloader of Verizon Galaxy Note 4 is now available for the device. Now Note 4 users can easily install and use custom recoveries like TWRP and take advantage of it to flash all the latest available custom ROMs and mods. All the credit goes to the senior XDA member ryanbg, thank you ryanbg for sharing such a useful method with us.
So many XDA developer forum users have already confirmed the exploit working and they were able to unlock the bootloader of their Verizon Galaxy Note 4. The exploit is 100 percent tested and working on Verizon Galaxy Note 4 running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and a working permanent root and TWRP is also achieved. But before starting with this step by step guide, you need to gain root access on your Note 4 in order to install some scripts to unlock the bootloader. There are two options available right now, you can easily root your device by using this guide or you can also gain temporary root access via Kingroot 4.8.5.
You also need to insert a SDcard in your Note 4 which will be formatted during the rooting process, so make sure your device SDcard don’t have any important data on it. For the safe side take a complete backup of your SDcard just to prevent any data loss. To avoid any issue during the rooting process, disable the reactivation lock. Your device CID should start with 15, otherwise the rooting process won’t start. You can check it by using eMMC app. If everything is according to the plan, then let’s begin with the tutorial.
- Make sure your Galaxy Note 4 battery is charged above 70% to prevent any interruption during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. Follow this link to enable it on your device.
- Install Galaxy Note 4 USB Drivers on your PC. You can easily download the drivers from Here.
- Make sure you backup your Note 4 storage, Contacts, SMS etc. You can use Google Sync or any other third-party app to perform full backup of your device storage.
- ADB and Fastboot should be installed on your PC. Follow our detailed tutorial to setup ADB and Fastboot from Here.
- Download and extract the latest Odin tool Odin3_v3.10.6.zip on your PC. You can also download it from Here.
- Download samsung_unlock_n4-2 script files.
- Download samsung_unlock_n4-2 fix files.
- Download TWRP for Verizon Galaxy Note 4 (Use file with .tar extension)
How to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy Note 4
1. Open ADB and Fastboot tools folder, then download the samsung_unlock_n4-2 script and save it in the same folder.
2. Then open a command prompt inside the same folder where you have already placed the samsung_unlock_n4-2 script file. To do so, press and hold Shift key + Right-click in the empty area of the folder, and click Open command window here option from the drop-down menu.
3. Go to the command prompt window, push the following command code to transfer the unlock files to the temporary folder in the device:
adb push samsung_unlock_n4-2 /data/local/tmp/
4. Launch the ADB shell on your PC by using below command code.
5. At this point you have to gain the root permission on your device, push the following command to do so. And make sure that you grant the r SuperSU permission to gain the root access on your device:
6. Perform this step very carefully. Push the following commands one by one in the same order to set the appropriate permissions and ownership for the unlock file:
chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-2
chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-2
7. Now, enter the following command to execute the script:
A warning banner will appear on screen after executing the above script. Read it carefully.
[+] CID at boot time is/was: 1501xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[+] device not yet dev CID, now changing to dev CID
[+] programming new CID 8111315351313153d315351e531fc154
[+] success! powering off device, power back on and verify CID
[+] then run this binary again to finish the process
Note: If you encounter any issue like “this is for Samsung devices only error,” execute the samsung_unlock_n4-2 fix script by using the same procedure listed above.
8. As I have already mentioned that your device CID will change after the reboot. So the device will be auto powered off after executing the script successfully. But make sure you placed the SDcard on your device before turn it on. Once your device boots up, apply the steps 3-7 again. This will unlock the bootloader on your device.
9. Remove the SDcard and keep it at some safe place because it contains some loader files which will help you to rescue your device just in case of any brick.
10. Now, switch to download mode on your device. To do this:
- Turn off your device first.
- Press and Hold Volume-Down + Power + Home keys simultaneously until a warning message with Android logo appears on screen.
- Press Volume-Up key to continue to Download Mode.
11. Use the Odin tool to Flash TWRP file on your device. Follow our Odin flashing guide from Here.
12. Once installed, boot your device into recovery mode “Volume-Up + Power + Home” keys altogether and then perform a nandroid backup of your device. Read more about nandroid backup from Here.
13. Now your device is ready to obtain root access by flashing SuperSU zip file from the TWRP Recovery or you can also do the same through CF Auto Root method using this tutorial.
So, after completing this lengthy procedure you will have the Verizon Galaxy Note 4 with an unlocked bootloader, rooted and TWRP installed.
Share your experience with us in the comment section below.