6.0.1 Marshmallow updated has been started rolling out for Samsung Galaxy device, the S6 and S6 Edge. If your device have somehow missed the update or haven’t it yet then you can do it manually. Simply follow the instructions of this guide on How to Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow On Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge devices. But if your device is already updated to 6.0.1 Marshmallow and now you wish to root your Gaalxy S6/S6 Edge then you are at right place. With the help of this guide you will learn how to install TWRP on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge devices and you will also learn how to root your Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge devices that are running Marshmallow firmware.
custom kernel is the only prerequisite in order to root Galaxy S6/S6 Edge devices that are running latest Marshmallow update. So first you will have to install a custom kernel on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge device. We have picked the best SpaceX kernel by Manh_IT, you can easily root your Galaxy devices by using this custom kernel which will only work on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge running Marshmallow update. But developers mostly recommend TWRP because in TWRP you are free to install any custom files and taking backups in TWRP is much easier. To enjoy the power of root simply follow this step by step guide to root your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge running Marshmallow update.
Supported Models of S6
Samsung Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge device.
TWRP 3.0/SpaceX Kernel MM RC-2.1
Samsung USB Drivers
Install TWRP and Root Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge on 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Make sure USB drivers are installed on your PC, if don’t then first download and install them.
- Odin v3.10.7 link is given above, download and install it on your PC.
- After downloading Odin v3.10.7 zip file, extract it using any unzip tool.
- Now launch the Odin v3.10.7 window by double-clicking on the executable file of Odin.
- Switch to Download Mode, To do this, reboot your device, press and hold these keys for few seconds after switching off your device (Home + Power + Volume Down).
- Use the stock USB cable to connect your device to PC, once your device has booted into Download mode and wait until you see a blue sign in Odin window.
- SpaceX kernel link is listed above, download it from there. And only download the file with .tar.md5 extension. Also, pick the right file for your device model.
- Click on AP/PDA in Odin, navigate and select the SpaceX kernel (.tar.md5) file.
- Now hot the Start button in Odin to begin the process of installation.
- Reboot to system!
- To root your device install SuperSU-2.67.apk file on your device from the link given above.
- Download the right TWRP (TWRP-3.0_MM_S6_by_ManhIT.tar.md5) file for your device model from the link given above, to install it on your device.
- Now once again boot your device into Download mode.
- Click on AP/PDA button of Odin, browse for TWRP-3.0_MM_S6_by_ManhIT.tar.md5 file and then select it.
- Now press Start button of Odin to begin the installation of TWRP on your device.
What you can do with TWRP?
- After switching off your device you can easily get into the freshly installed TWRP by pressing and holding these keys together just for few seconds (Home + Power + Volume Up)
- SuperSU application allows you to install BETA-SuperSU-v2.68-20160228150503.zip file on your device, alternatively you can also flash it through TWRP.
- TWRP custom recovery also allows you to flash the kernel, but make sure to download the zip file of the kernel instead of .tar.md5.
That’s all! enjoy your rooted Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge device on latest Marshmallow firmware. Comments section below is for your valuable queries.