HTC M series the M9 and M9 Plus was not very successful so HTC decided to let go the M series and then launched HTC 10 recently. This latest offering by HTC brings all the latest specs that everyone expect from the 2016’s flagship smartphone. HTC 10 design is simply amazing. HTC always try to deliver the best smartphone designs as possible and never disappointed their users with the design of their smartphones since the M series devices have been launched. On the hardware side HTC M series smartphones lacked the most is the camera, but in HTC 10, they improved a lot to deliver the best flagship phone to the users. Now the camera in HTC 10 is upgraded to 12 MP, f/1.8, with 1.55µm pixel size to provide the best quality images.
If we look at the software side of HTC 10, the SenseUi has been modified by HTC to bring it more closer to stock Android. Lots of bloatware and Sense apps have been wiped and have been replaced with Google ones. But there is always a room for improvement and they could deliver much more to provide better user experience. As we all know that the real power of an Android smartphone is unleaded only after rooting it. So here is a step-bystep guide to install TWRP and root HTC 10.
Secure Your Data
Before applying the listed steps please backup your HTC 10 data and transfer it to a secure location. Make sure you backup all your important data including apps, photos, music, etc. that you might have on your device storage. After performing the full backup of your device transfer the data to PC or use any backup application to backup your data to external or cloud storage.
You can use this application to backup your important data.
Download and Install from Google Play Store Helium
- HTC 10 device (Unlocked Bootloader)
- TeamWin TWRP Custom Recovery
- Modified SuperSU zip File
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot
ADB and Fastboot should be installed on your PC or laptop. Before starting with this guide click on the link above to setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC or laptop.
How To Install TWRP and Root HTC 10
- Charge your device to at least 70% or above to avoid any kind of interruption during the process to root HTC 10.
- HTC 10 bootloader should be unlocked, go to HTCDev.com and follow the simple instructions to unlock the bootloader of your device. Bootloader Unlocking will wipe all your device data, so make sure you perform full backup of your device data.
- Download the latest version of TWRP from the pre-requisites section above. Move this file to Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder and rename it to “twrp.img”.
- Turn on the Developer Option on your device. To enable developer options go to Settings app >> About Phone >> tap the Build Number 7 times.
- Now open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking options.
- Then use the stock USB cable to connect your device to PC.
Steps To Follow:
1. Launch Minimal ADB and Fastboot window on your PC and push the following command to reboot your device into download mode:
adb reboot download
2. To flash TWRP push the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
3. Now push the following command in the ADB and Fastboot window:
4. Insert a SD card into your device then backup your device current system files and data to SD card. You may skip this step because its optional but it is recommended to take backup just in case if anything goes wrong.
5. Once the device boot into bootloader mode, select Recovery and reboot your device into recovery.
6. Now your device should boot up into TWRP. If it prompts for your encryption password just tap Cancel. Then open TWRP in Read only mode.
7. Go to TWRP >> Backup option and select all the partitions except Data and then swipe where appropriate to perform a full backup of these partitions.
8. Once the backup process completed, go back to TWRP main menu and select Reboot >> Recovery.
9. Cancel the encryption password prompt. Allow System modifications so that we can easily root the device. Then select Advanced >> ADB Sideload >> Swipe to start ADB sideload.
10. Make sure your device and PC are connected and Minimal ADB and Fastboot is running on your PC. Push the following command:
adb sideload <SuperSU-File Path>
Note: Replace <SuperSU-File Path> with modified SuperSU file path or drag and drop the file to command prompt to make sure right path appears in the command window. Then hit the enter and wait for few seconds.
11. Reboot to System.
Congrats! You have successfully installed TWRP and rooted your HTC 10. Enjoy the rooted HTC 10 by customizing the device according to your needs. You can check the root status through Root checker app which is available on Play Store.
Download and Install from Google Play Store Root Checker
Comment section below if for your valuable queries. Feel free to share your experience with rooted HTC 10.