But if you don’t like long wait, then here is a good news for you that now it’s possible for you to enjoy the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update on your Galaxy S6 or the Galaxy S6 Edge. All the credit goes to Android community, now we can enjoy the first few builds which is based on Marshmallow beta update from Samsung. This ROM is fully modified for compatibility and taken from Samsung.
There are a few ways to get the Galaxy S6 Marshmallow update early. The easiest, but perhaps the slowest way is to sign up for the beta testing program. The second and the most complex way is to flash the update using Odin and a tar image of the Marshmallow ROM. The third method is to simply flash the Marshmallow ROM zip file using Recovery. The Marshmallow firmware provided below is a Beta version.
How to Install Official Android 6.0 Firmware on Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F)
Today, we are going to show you how to install the Galaxy S6 Marshmallow update via recovery method. It’s simple and clean process and has been confirmed by the community to work 100%
Before we starting with the flashing steps of Marshmallow update, there are few things you will need.
- Samsung USB Device Drivers should be installed on your Windows based PC.
- TWRP 3.0 Recovery
- IMG File: twrp-3.0.0-0-zeroflte.img
- Odin 3.10.7 Tool
- Zip File: Link
- SuperSU Package
- Zip File: BETA-SuperSU-v2.66_Edition.zip
- 6.0.1 Bootloader
- Tar File: BOOTLOADER_G920FXXU3ZPA1-M(6.0.1).tar
- 5.1.1 Bootloader
- Tar File: BOOTLOADER_G920FXXU3COI9-L(5.1.1).tar
First download all the files listed above, then we will start with the process of flashing.
1. Install the 5.1.1 Bootloader
In this section, we are going to prepare your Galaxy S6 for the installation of Marshmallow.
- Power off your Galaxy S6.
- Now press and hold the Power + VolumeDown + Home keys altogether to boot your Galaxy S6 into Download Mode.
- Then connect your Galaxy S6 to your PC using stock usb cable.
- Launch the Odin tool.
- Click on BL and choose the 5.1.1 Bootloader file.
- Hit the Start button.
2. Flash the TWRP recovery and Marshmallow
- After completing the 5.1.1 Bootloader installation, we are going to flash TWRP recovery and Marshmallow.
- Now click on the AP on Odin and choose the TWRP 3.0 recovery image file.
- Then press the Start button to flash it.
- Bypass the normal boot mode of Galaxy S6 and switch to Recovery Mode.
- To boot into the Recovery Mode, press and hold the Power key with VolumeUp+Home keys altogether.
- Make sure your device is properly connected to your PC
- Then transfer the zip file of Marshmallow ROM to your Galaxy S6.
- Tap on install option in TWRP main menu and then select the zip file of Marshmallow ROM.
- Finally swipe the slider to start the process of installation.
3. Flash the 6.0.1 Bootloader
- After completing the successful installation of Marshmallow on your Galaxy S6, there are few more steps need to be done.
- Turn the power down of your Galaxy S6.
- Now press the Power + VolumeDown + Home buttons and hold the keys until your device boots into Download Mode.
- Use the stock usb cable to connect your device with the PC.
- Launch the Odin tool.
- In Odin click on the BL and choose the 6.0.1 Bootloader file.
- Finally press the start button and that’s all!
Moreover, to gain the root access on your Galaxy S6, simply switch to recovery mode in order to flash the SuperSU zip file. This step is optional but recommended by developers.
For more information regarding same, read this thread on XDA.