Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the 10.5-inch models of Samsung Galaxy Tab S have already been rolling out for a few weeks now. The step-by-step tutorial for installing the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on Galaxy Tab S SM-T800 and Galaxy Tab S SM-T805 published few days ago at DroidCosmo.
In the first phase of roll-out the bigger screen variants of Galaxy Tab S received the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update, and now the update is started rolling out for the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 (WiFi). For those who own this variant and waiting to explore the features of Marshmallow, now it’s your turn to update your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 (WiFi).
The users of Tab S in countries like Korea, Switzerland, Canada, USA have already been receiving the official OTA update of Marshmallow 6.0.1. They can also check manually for the update by going to About phone. For all others who also wants to update their Tab S to Marshmallow, this guide is just for you. Below, we will show you how to download and install the fresh Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware on your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700 (WiFi) using Odin.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Features
Before you download and install the latest Android 6.0.1 firmware on your Galaxy Tab S 8.4, here are some feature highlights for this release.
- The latest Marshmallow update brings better UI, improved performance, and enhanced security features.
- The new app drawer has a search bar and a new quick scrolling feature.
- Google Now on Tap can be easily triggered on via Home button of your Tab S.
- Excellent battery performance via new and improved efficient power management features. Features like Doze and App Standby that kills the background services and network connection when device is idle.
- Manage app permissions without rooting your Tab S. You can now easily enable/disable app permissions.
- Moreover, lots of other useful tweaks and changes in the UI.
- Model: SM-T700
- Version: Android (6.0.1) Marshmallow
- PDA: T700KXU1CPH6 | Phone: T700XXU1CPH5
- Release Date: September 09, 2016
Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700 (WiFi)
All the firmwares links that we have mentioned below are in country wise order but they are compatible with any Galaxy Tab S 8.4 with model number SM-T700. So, there is no country/region restriction, you can pick any firmware from the list given below to install it on your Tab S.
USA (Cellular South)
- Download and extract the firmware package from the firmware download section above.
- Download and extract the Odin 3.10.7 on your Windows based PC. Mac users can use the Java version of Odin.
- Download and install the Samsung latest USB drivers on your PC. You can skip this step if drivers are already installed on your PC and in working order.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your Tab S:
- Settings >> Developer options >> USB Debugging
- Take a complete backup of your device data and transfer it to the external storage. Sometimes we need to do a hard reset after flashing a new firmware update to fix some issues like boot loop etc.
- Make sure your Galaxy Tab S battery is fully charged before starting the firmware flashing procedure.
We’ve twice tested and verified all the procedures to install the firmware update. Please, follow all the steps in order and feel free to clear your doubts if you have any. Follow this tutorial at your own risk. The firmwares listed in this guide is compatible with only SM-T700, so do not try these firmwares on any other device or whatsoever.
Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700
Here are the steps to install any official firmware update on your Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4.
Step 1. First unzip the firmware package using any available tool. Once you extracted the package, you’ll get the original firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
Step 2. Unzip the Odin.zip file, browse the Odin folder and execute Odin 3.10.7.exe as an administrator.
Step 3. Boot the Galaxy Tab S into Download mode:
- Turn off your Galaxy Tab S,
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power keys altogether for few seconds,
- Keep the keys pressed until a warning message will appear on your Tab S screen,
- Now release the keys and then press only Volume Up key to boot into Download Mode.
Step 4. Use the original stock USB cable that came with your Tab S to connect it with your PC.
Step 5. Once your device detected by PC, you will observe following output:
- The ID:COM port on Odin will highlighted blue.
- “Added!!” will appear in the Odin’s log section.
Step 6. Now you need to add the firmware file which you have downloaded earlier.
- Click the AP button in Odin,
- Browse the firmware file directory,
- Select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
Step 7. Click the Start button to begin with the installation and wait for few minutes until it gets installed.
Step 8. You will receive a PASS! message on Odin, which indicates that the firmware installation is completed.
Step 9. Finally your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 will reboot automatically.
Note: The first boot after installing the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware on your Galaxy Tab S will take some extra time. So be patient with a beautiful patience. The device will boot up normally and then you will be able to explore the freshly installed Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700.
If you encounter a bootloop and your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 can’t past the splash screen even after 15 minutes, perform a data factory reset through stock recovery option to fix the bootloop issue:
Feel free to share your experience with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy Tab S. If you find this guide helpful please Like and share us on social platforms.