WhatsApp is a new generation high-tech instant messaging service powered by internet and followed by millions of people all around the world. It’s so popular among the masses that it doesn’t even need any introduction. WhatsApp is a completely free instant messaging service for lifetime. This is a main reason behind its popularity. One can easily send and receive messages or media via internet without spending single penny. Not only this but you can also make free voice calls.
Here are some WhatsApp tips and tricks that you should know.
1. Recover Recent WhatsApp Messages (less than 7 days)
Let’s start with the most commonly asked question. Recovering lost messages. WhatsApp backups your text messages and media from time to time in your phone’s internal storage (path: sdcard/Whatsapp/database) and on Google drive. You can either clear WhatsApp data from your phone’s app settings or uninstall the app to restore the lost messages. After reinstalling the app provide your credentials like your phone number, name etc. Once you have provided the necessary information, it will auto search for the text backups and restore the most recent backup.
- Go to WhatsApp Settings >> Chats >> Chat backup.
- Tap on BACK UP.
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- To do so, go to Settings >> Applications >> WhatsApp >> Uninstall.
- Reboot the device.
- Reinstall WhatsApp.
- Provide the credentials.
- Restore WhatsApp messages.
- Tap on “Restore” button.
2. Recover Older WhatsApp Messages (over 7 days)
It’s bit difficult to recover WhatsApp chat older than 7 days. However, there are few working methods to retrieve WhatsApp messages older than 7 days.
- Browse WhatsApp database folder in the SD card.
- (path: /sdcard/WhatsApp/Database)
- Rename “msgstore.db.crypt” file.
- The database files saved with names like “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt”
- (YYYY: Year, MM: Month, DD: Date).
- Select an appropriate file from the list and rename it “msgstore.db.crypt”.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp again.
- Reboot the device.
3. Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages Without Backups
If you have accidently lost some very important messages without a backup then you have to use a Android data recovery software. It’s very easy to use and free to download. Follow the steps to recover lost WhatsApp messages without backup with this software.
- Download and install Android Data Recovery on your PC.
- Turn on the USB Debugging option on your device. Read this guide to enable it.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Launch Android Data Recovery software on your PC. It will automatically detect and establish a virtual connection between your device and PC.
- Once the connection established, it will ask you to select the files you want to recover, check only “WhatsApp messages and attachments”, uncheck everything else.
- Click “Next”.
- Wait for few seconds until the analyzing process will finish.
- Next, read the instructions carefully and grant SuperSU permission.
- It will start scanning your device internal and external storage for the lost files.
- Once the scanning finished you will see a result page, grouped into different categories. Open the category to preview recovered data and recover the files to your PC and device.
Android Data Recovery gives you a complete solution to recover lost WhatsApp messages, photos, videos and docs.
4. How To Know If You’ve Been Blocked By Someone
- If you’ve been blocked by someone that means they don’t want to come into contact with you. This could be quite annoying sometimes. However, you can easily check whether someone has blocked you on WhatsApp, check the following things:
- If their last seen does not appear then there is a possibility that they have blocked you.
- Send them a random text. If the double check mark or blue check mark appears then you are not blocked. But if you see a single check mark then there may be chance that you’ve been blocked by that person.
- Call them. If your call is not established then it’s a sign that you’ve been blocked, unless their phone broke down or they have uninstalled WhatsApp.
- If you have observed that their profile picture has not changed in a long time, then it’s a possibility that you’ve been blocked. But on the other hand it could also mean that haven’t changed it. To confirm this, check their profile picture from a mutual friend’s phone.
5. Bulk Private Messages
WhatsApp message broadcasting is one of the most less used feature. WhatsApp message broadcasting feature allows you to send a text to a group of people at once without letting them know who else received that text. Like all other useful features this one is also quite simple to use. To send your first broadcast message, launch the app >> tap on three dots on top right >> tap on New broadcast >> select the contacts >> tap on CREATE >> type your message >> hit send button. Further you can also give this broadcast list a name of your choice. And you can create as many broadcast lists as you want.
6. Hide WhatsApp Photos from Appearing in Gallery
If you don’t want to see incoming WhatsApp photos in your phone’s gallery, then go to the internal memory of your phone (use any file manager). Go to WhatsApp >> media > WhatsApp images. Create a new folder in WhatsApp images “.nomedia”. All the incoming WhatsApp images will be hide from gallery.
7. Create Chats Shortcut on Home Screen
There must be a lots of contacts in your WhatsApp but you may not chat with all of them every day. We all have some close friends with whom we chat daily, to whom we send pictures or videos all the time. So it’s a good practice to create a home screen shortcut for such friends, so that you can direct chat with them right from the home screen. To do this, open that contact on WhatsApp >> tap on three dots on top right corner >> tap on “more” >> tap on “Add shortcut”. Now you should see a WhatsApp shortcut for that friend on home screen.
8. How to Mute Group Chats
WhatsApp group chat is a useful feature but it’s so annoying if your friends add you in such groups in which you don’t want to participate for any reason. Leaving the group is not the solution because they add you again. But you can simply mute group chats to get rid of annoying notifications. To mute group chats, open that group >> tap on three dots on top right corner” >> tap on “mute” >> select the time period >> select whether you would like to receive notifications or not. It’s done.
9. Transfer Chat History to Another Phone
WhatsApp recent update brings a new feature of backing up chats on Google drive. To back up your messages to Google drive, open Settings >> Chats >> Chat back up >> Tap on “BACKUP” >> Choose the time period from the pop-up menu. To transfer chat history to another phone, simply install WhatsApp on that phone and select Google Drive when it prompts to restore backup.
Did you try all of the above tips? Or is there any other worth mentioning? Tell us in the comments section below!